Should veterinary medical devices be CE-marked?
When a product falls into the field of application of a directive of the so called “new approach” providing for its application, a product must mandatorily present the CE marking. On the contrary, if the product does not fall into the scope of this kind of regulations, then it may not include it.
In the case of medical devices, the current Directive 93/42/EEC regulating them refers only to products intended to be used in humans; consequently, everything used for medical activities on animals is excluded from the field of application. Although such criterion is quite clear, there are often products on the market classified as “veterinary medical devices”.
This definition refers, for instance, to bands, patches, syringes for animals, but also beds, prostheses, diagnostic kits, and medical equipment of various types, all identifiable as medical devices, but intended for use in animals. There are products, such as surgical instruments, that do not differ from those for human use, and that are therefore medical devices with full rights. However, when used in animals, these run the risk of falling into an off-label use, that is not in compliance with Directive 93/42/EEC.
The field further extends if substance-containing medical devices are considered, such as ointments, creams and solutions with a non pharmacological mechanism of action. In this case, the lack of a reference regulation results in this products to be defined as veterinary medicines, making them subject to strict regulations (Directive 2004/28/EC), including a mandatory MA, that is not provided for medical devices.
- PARAMETER PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS OF VETERINARY PATIENT MONITORS ——SPO2 IS UNSTABLE 2022-06-13 126
- How to measure animal's SpO2？ 2022-06-27 150
- How to Monitor an Animal's ECG 2022-06-29 111
- Measurement techniques of non-invasive blood pressure in animals 2022-06-30 111
- How to connect the CO2 module 2022-07-01 169
- Respiration also plays an important role in animal monitors 2022-07-05 136
- The application and principle of body temperature 2022-07-06 148
- Parameter problems and solutions of veterinary patient monitors——NIBP is unstable 2022-07-07 110
- How do we solve common problems about ECG parameters in veterinary monitors? 2022-07-08 120
- PARAMETER PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS OF VETERINARY PATIENT MONITORS ——ETCO2 IS UNSTABLE 2022-07-11 111
- Common faults and treatment of respiratory rate 2022-07-12 140
- Methods of measuring blood pressure in animals 2022-07-13 174
- Factors Affecting the Normal ECG of Dogs 2022-07-14 153
- Common sense of pet infusion 2022-07-15 160
- Instructions for using the infusion pump 2022-07-18 136
- System structure and working principle of medical infusion pump 2022-07-19 138
- What should be paid attention to when prolonging the use of the infusion pump 2022-07-20 107
- How do we save the infusion pump and what are the potential market values 2022-07-21 112
- The structure and working principle of the syringe pump 2022-07-22 134
- How to use a syringe pump 2022-07-25 215