How to measure animal's SpO2？
The volume of oxygen-bound oxyhemoglobin (HbO2) in the blood accounts for the percentage of the total bindable hemoglobin (Hb) volume, that is, the concentration of blood oxygen in the blood, which is an important physiological parameter of respiration and circulation.
What is the clinical significance?
Blood oxygen monitoring can provide important information on animal oxygen supply, which is helpful to detect hypoxia or potential hypoxia during surgery for timely treatment.
It is very useful for the assessment of lung function in animals, and for any animal that exhibits tachypnea postoperatively, oxygen saturation must be measured to aid in diagnosis and treatment planning.
Clip the pulse oximeter probe to the part of the animal with abundant capillaries, smooth blood flow and good light transmittance. For example, animals' tongues, ears, tails with shorter hair, etc.
Because exercise affects blood flow and signal extraction, to obtain stable blood oxygen values, keep the animal sedated or anesthetized.
Cat SpO2 value is in the range of 85% to 97%;
The dog SpO2 value is in the range of 85% to 99%;
Horse SpO2 values are in the range of 85% to 99%.
Practical tips for measuring blood oxygen in animals
Only when the signal is strong enough, the pulse track is clear, and the rhythm and rhythm are consistent with the patient's animal, the value given by the monitor is reliable;
Since animal blood oxygen probes are different from human structures, they are easily disturbed by external light or movement.
This point needs to be paid attention to during the measurement.
- Veterinary Echocardiography 2022-09-23 201
- Veterinary Blood Pressure 2022-09-03 229
- Ultrasonography in Animals 2022-09-02 211
- The use and maintenance of anesthesia machine 2022-08-12 153
- Steps to use the anesthesia machine 2022-08-10 154
- Safety matters and maintenance of syringe pump 2022-08-08 119
- Autoclaves and sterilizers 2022-08-05 166
- Veterinary Equipment: What You Need When Setting Up a Clinic 2022-08-04 172